January has been a busy (and fun and fantastic) month for SEAC!
We’ve celebrated one year of moving into our new location and setting up the Tool Shed as well as hiring Nick Wilbur, our amazing Tool Shed Coordinator.
We were awarded $10,000 by the Daisy Marquis Jones Foundation (THANK YOU)!
We got two new businesses signed on for SEACing It Out– Crumpets and Metro Salon!
AND we have five DIY classes coming throughout Feb and March!
Check out all the cool news here! If you’re not subscribed, you can do that on our website:).
Today, January 3rd, 2023, marks our one year anniversary of moving into our new home at 1255 University Ave, C010 (Lower Level)!
What a crazy year it’s been. Thank you to all SEAC’s staff, board members, volunteers, and all our community partners that helped get us to our new location and getting the Tool Shed up and running!
While it took a bit of time to gather the donations and get them entered into our database, we were super eager to open our doors to the public!
With roughly 250 tools in our inventory, on April 4th, 2022, we did just that!
Since opening we have:
- Enrolled over 270 members from over 34 zip codes.
- Gathered an inventory of over 700 tools
- Rented out over 1,400 tools.
- Saved Greater Rochesterians roughly $76,000 in tool purchases.
- Kept an estimated over 3 tons of tool waste out of landfills.
- Partnered with other local agencies: Fairport Tool Thriftshop, Mayer Hardware, St. Michael’s Woodshop, and The Buffalo Tool Library.
- Provided tools to community gardens and Neighborhood Associations.
- Developing several DIY classes, including:
- Tool Safety in collaboration with Mayer Hardware.
- How to change the guts of a toilet.
- How to safely change an electrical outlet.
- How to change a doorknob and deadbolt.
- Financial Literacy in collaboration with KeyBank.
- Post-closing home ownership education.
- And more as we continue to grow!
We look forward to seeing you all at the Tool Shed!
“We have the tools you need to create the changes you want to make!”