Those interested in the position can contact:
Paul J. Morrell, MS., Assistant Vice President for Finance and Business Development at email@example.com
Business Advisor – SBDC
POSITION CATEGORY: Flexible Part-time (3 day), 12 month, business counseling position reporting to the Director of the Small Business Development Center.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The SBDC Business Advisor is responsible for assisting clients of the Small Business Development Center and must meet established goals relative to number of clients, jobs, and economic impact. He/she is responsible for providing a comprehensive range of small business assistance to SBDC clients to include one-to-one client advisement in business plan development, analysis, preparation, and structure of financial statements, start-up information to include assistance in automated and manual record keeping systems and assisting clients with advertising, promotional functions, market surveys, and other related activities.
The counselor position supports our mission and objectives for SBDC to provide business advisement and resources for small businesses and entrepreneurs to create economic sustainability in NYS. This position not only supports the Southeast area of Rochester but also Livingston and Wyoming Counties.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Directs and advises entrepreneurs and business owners on matters involving the start-up or expansion of a small business.
- Assists SBDC clients with preparation of a business plan.
- Provides counseling assistance in the preparation of loan packages, cash flow projections, and other financial statements.
- Prepares written reports documenting the status and progress of all SBDC clients assisted. Maintains up-to-date client database.
- Compiles and analyses data from SBDC clients who have received assistance in order to make refinements and improvements and for promotional purposes.
- Maintains currency of federal, state, and local government regulations pertaining to operating a business and provides updates to the SBDC staff.
- Establishes and maintains an up-to-date comprehensive network of professional contacts for referral purposes.
- Represents the SBDC at networking events and gives presentations on the services the SBDC offers. Promotes SBDC services at every opportunity.
- Plans, directs and organizes orientation and training programs for SBDC clients, as requested by the Director. Recommends content for e-mail blasts to clients.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree and its equivalent required; three (3) years’ experience business consulting, small business management, or managerial consulting, which must include business and marketing plan development, financial analysis, and financing options, experience related to economic or entrepreneurial development; experience using Excel spreadsheets and WORD. Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with audiences of varied knowledge and expertise. It is important that this position have the range of ability to represent the SBDC and SUNY Geneseo in settings that require professional presentations.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree in a business-related field; experience as an owner of a small business; demonstrable experience establishing local economic development, community, and business relationships; experience with training development and public speaking; experience with public relations and newsletter creation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Must be able to listen to small business owner’s needs and be able to advise them on actions that need to be considered; must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; must be able to write reports; must be able to prepare and make oral presentations to small and large groups; must be able to explain and interpret financial statements; must be able to travel locally; must be able to relate to all levels of the business community; must be able to operate computers. Recognize that sometimes the best assistance you can give a client is to help him/her recognize that business ownership is not a good path for them.
Geneseo is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected status or characteristic. Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Veteran. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
College Approved: March 1, 2022
SBDC Approved: Feb 28, 2022